Thursday, November 4, 2010

Public & Private Sector Job Cuts From Les4GS

Dear Supporter

The latest reports from a number of sources, say that over 1.6 million jobs could be lost through the Government’s austerity measures.

Members in both the public and private sectors are at risk of losing their jobs, with all the misery that unemployment brings to them and their families. The overwhelming number of members I have met in the last few weeks want to discuss their futures, the future of their families, as well as the future of Unite.

They are concerned about how the Government cuts will affect them and they want to know how we are going to defend jobs and fight the Government cuts and ensure we win.

We need to build a broad coalition – trade unions, trades councils, Labour Party activists, community groups, parent groups and educationalists – everyone who knows the damage the Con-Dem cuts will cause. This will take some time but this is why I have opposed knee-jerk calls for immediate strikes. Defending our members’ jobs and taking on the Government won’t be delivered unless we have broad support.

We must work towards ensuring that the March 26th 2011 demonstration in London against the cuts is the culmination of the most effective campaign ever launched by the TUC. However, we need to be building campaigns in every community.

I know many of our shop stewards and union reps are already campaigning locally against the cuts and building broad support. As General Secretary, I will ensure Unite supports them wholeheartedly.

I will also continue to campaign on policies that will take our members and Unite forward. These policies are outlined in my ballot statement contained within the ballot paper, on my website www.les4gs.org and in press statements.

Attacks and smears on my record and character will not deter me from speaking out on the issues which I believe are important to the future of our union and our members.

Since the creation of Unite, we have built a democratic structure through debate and consensus. Now we are seeing an attempt by a small group within the union, to dismantle that structure and turn the clock back.

I am proud of my record in helping to create Amicus and Unite through mergers and through democratic lay structures that give members direct control of their sectors and union.

As General Secretary I will defend lay control through our working reps and accountability within the union, through our autonomous sectors, through our regions and our equality structures.

My supporters can be assured I intend to continue to promote the positive and progressive policies I have argued for during the Unite General Secretary election campaign.

I believe we can build a better union, with better support for members and better judgement in our decisions.

Yours fraternally,

Les Bayliss

No comments:

Post a Comment