Monday, November 15, 2010

A Message From Les Bayliss

The following message has been sent out by Les Bayliss.

"As the ballot for the leadership of Unite closes this week, Friday 19th, I am taking an opportunity to thank all of my supporters across the union for their encouragement, assistance and steadfast support over the past months.

This election has helped focus on the real issues facing Unite members, their families and our union.

The policies I have discussed with thousands of members have set the agenda in the election - and have found widespread support among our members.

With only a few days to go it is worth remembering the policies I have consistently advocated:

Better Support For Members: The policy of establishing a 24-hour, 7-day a week contact centre to help members when they need it has found universal approval – so much so that one candidate, belatedly and without planning and knowledge, latched on to it and now includes it as one of his policies.

Campaign Against The Cuts: I have argued from day one about building a massive campaign to oppose and fight the Con-Dem cuts, working with community groups and supporters and not muscling in on their campaigns or proposing knee jerk calls for strikes that won’t deliver. We have to "box clever" and build the widest support possible for the biggest demonstration the country has seen on March 26th 2011, to defend our members from the disaster we face.

Industrial support for members: I intend to ensure we win disputes with employers by strategic planning and not letting employers and the media pick our disputes. I have described the leadership of the BA Cabin Crew Dispute as “disastrous”. I have been attacked and smeared for doing so, with sideswipes that I don’t have the industrial experience to negotiate with employers such as Willie Walsh. So where are we now? Despite Unite recommending the latest BA deal (as the “best available”) and ballot our members – the ballot is now halted - we are up a blind alley with no reverse gear. (See http://uniteba.com/LATESTNEWSUPDATES.html).

Reclaim the Labour Party: I was the first candidate to publically welcome Ed Miliband’s election as Labour Party leader and recognise the part Unite played in his election. I have indicated that I will work with the Labour leadership to win the Party back for ordinary working people. I will do this by ensuring that we get Labour candidates and MPs who support and campaign for Unite policies.

Lay Member Control: I will ensure that the control of Unite stays in the hands of our members through elected reps at all levels and that the union remains based on branches, workplaces, chapels, sectors, regions and equality structures – NOT small cliques of people who represent only themselves and who are unaccountable.

I intend to unify our union; leading from the front, listening to members and our reps. I will introduce strategic planning, modern communications and policies that will grow the union as well as providing better training and education for reps

I will balance the books and ensure we have a union fit for purpose in the world of work in the 21st Century.

In these last few days if you have not already voted, or know Unite members who have not cast their vote – think of the future – Vote for Les Bayliss.

Les Bayliss

www.les4gs.org

No comments:

Post a Comment