Wednesday, November 3, 2010

"A note of support and dismay from a small, but very active, branch of Unite!!!

As a Unite member and activist in receipt of Ron Pursey’s recent concerns over comments made by Tony Woodley at the “Protect Public Services Lobby” on 19 October, I too am amazed, concerned and ashamed at what I heard from Tony on 19 October. So much so that, as a previously undecided Unite elector, Tony’s comments have resulted in my determination to vote for Les as General Secretary.

I could not believe what I was hearing from Tony at what was otherwise a very successful and invigorating inter-union Rally and Lobby against the ConDem Cuts. He should not have used his very short speech on the draconian, devastating and destructive actions of our Government, to attack a candidate for Unite’s General Secretary election. As a colleague unionist of another union said to me afterwards, “- – - if that’s united, God help Unite’s members”!!!!!!!

I also attended the TUC Briefing event on 23 October, to raise the profile of my Branch (albeit a little fearful that someone else of influence may say something stupid!) Thankfully, no repeat of such high-profile unacceptable behaviour, just some disturbing inter-union heckling which does not favour well for the required inter-union actions demanded to fight the cuts!!

So I say to Unite’s bosses, “get your act together and get united. Back-stabbing and dirty-laundry in public gives no confidence to members that Unite can take the lead in effective inter-union action required to fight Public Sector Cuts”.

Alan Yelling, Vice Chair of the Probation Managers Association, a Branch of Unite.

NOTE - Used with permission of Mr. Yelling.

No comments:

Post a Comment