Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Equal Rights and the Equality Reps Project

Unite is a vibrant union that is not only diverse within its industrial sectors, but also within its membership as a whole. I believe Unite should be a union that meets the needs of all its members and every new challenge head on.

Now that the ballot for the new General Secretary’s election is open, you have the opportunity to create the union that you deserve.

My vision in equality issues have led me to being heavily involved in the Equality Rep’s Project, focusing on what I believe to be the key to a greater union - education. By informing and encouraging equality reps to become active in the union, I can make sure that employers take the issues of bullying and harassment, flexible working and career prospects for women seriously and ensure that we receive fair pay that can affect us all. [see more on the Equality Reps Project]

The experience I have gained has taught me to respond effectively and practically to the challenges of a modern trade union. The future that I see for Unite is one that prides itself on communication and democracy throughout the union. This election is the greatest opportunity to release Unite’s potential.

In the current climate, everything we do will be seen not only to represent the rights of our members, but the rights of all working people. I believe that my vision will realise Unite’s full potential to make Unite the great union all of our members deserve.

Yours fraternally,

Les Bayliss

No comments:

Post a Comment