Monday, August 10, 2009

Help Save Jobs at Diageo

Please help Unite members at Diageo in their fight to save hundreds of jobs in Scotland.

This pro-forma letter is being circulated by Unite, so you may have have already got a copy.

if not you can help by signing the letter which will appear when you visit the following web address:

http://action.unitetheunion.com/dontwalkoutonus

Many thanks, Workers Uning Group

HELP SAVE JOBS AT DIAGEO

Some people just have jobs. But mine is much more than that - it's part of me, my family and my community.

I'm writing to ask for your help in saving hundreds and hundreds of jobs at the Diageo Johnnie Walker plant in Kilmarnock. But as Diageo also plans to shut the distillery and cooperage at Port Dundas in Glasgow and implement a programme of outsourcing at Shieldhall, Hurlford and Elgin, these communities, which have served the company for years, will be decimated.

I've written a letter to Paul Walsh - the boss of the faceless multinational Diageo who own Johnnie Walker. The letter talks about the human and economic damage Mr Walsh's plans will cause towns and cities across Scotland. And I would like to put your name on the letter as well, so that we can send the strongest possible message against these needless redundancies.

http://action.unitetheunion.com/dontwalkoutonus

The cuts are not necessary. Diageo is thriving; making a £2 billion profit in the last year alone. Yet the management is willing to turn their backs on the people who built this success, sacking us for short term corporate greed.

But I'm not going to lie down and take it - I'm not walking away from 31 years of service at Johnnie Walker, or from my sister, daughter and two nieces who work there as well. That's why I agreed to write this letter - and we need as many people to co-sign it to send the management the strongest message possible - save our jobs. You can co-sign my letter here:

http://action.unitetheunion.com/dontwalkoutonus

We understand the need for change in business. We want the best for Johnnie Walker. But I know that ripping production out of Johnnie Walker's home for over 185 years will not only cause untold damage to my town; it will also hurt the product we've all worked so hard for.

With your help we can stop this happening, and help protect this country's whisky industry. Please co-sign my letter to Paul Walsh and help stop Diageo's betrayal of the communities who have served them.

Whenever you hear about job losses on the news you often forget that there are people behind the figures. This time that person is me, my family and hundreds of other workers. And I need your help. Please co-sign my letter and join us in standing up for jobs and a future for our families.

http://action.unitetheunion.com/dontwalkoutonus

Thank you,

Georgia Cunningham
Pallet Controller, Johnnie Walker, Kilmarnock

No comments:

Post a Comment